Teach children to play away from hydro wires and keep away from areas marked “Keep Out” or “Danger”.
Climbing hydro poles, towers, and fences surrounding electrical equipment is extremely dangerous. Children could fall or touch a wire and be injured or killed.
Warn children not to climb trees near power lines.
Don’t let children fly kites near power lines. As a precaution, make sure there is nothing metallic on the kite and check that the kite string has no wire or metal in it.
Teach children not to play on or near pad-mounted transformers (pad-mounted transformers are short green metal cabinets on cement slabs that transform high voltage electricity to lower voltages for use in homes and businesses.
Make sure every outlet has an intact cover plate with a safety sliding latch, which acts as a barrier between tiny hands and exposed wires.
Install tamper-resistant ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in rooms with outlets near water. They protect against electric shocks by shutting off power when they detect current leaking into the ground.
Install tamper-resistant receptacles to protect young children from shocks. They have special shutters that cover plug slots and help prevent little fingers and objects from entering the outlet.
If your outlet has a missing or broken cover plate, replace it immediately. Outlet covers create a barrier between people and exposed wires.
Small kids often want to explore new things by putting them in their mouths. Keep cords away from little hands and mouths.
Teach older children how to plug in and unplug safely. Never overload outlets by plugging in too many cords. Use an approved power bar that has surge protection instead. When it’s time to unplug, don’t yank cords from the wall. This can damage the appliance, the cord and the outlet.
Check all of your cords. If a cord is frayed, replace it. Tape won’t protect anyone from a shock. Extension cords – which should only be used temporarily – are prone to cracking and fraying, which can lead to a shock or fire.
Water and electricity can be a lethal mix. Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) – the ones with the reset button – in any room with water (i.e. bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms) to help protect from a shock.